Britain announces new immigration rules
New Delhi: Britain on Thursday announced new
immigration rules for skilled and highly skilled migrants,
including those from India, under which the criteria of
earnings has been increased.
Under the new rules, which will be applicable from April
6, the minimum previous earnings for those applying under Tier
1 has been increased from the current 20,000 pounds to 25,000
For Tier-II, the minimum prospective earnings has been
increased from 17,000 pounds to 20,000 pounds, while the
highest earnings threshold has been set at 32,000 pounds,
increased from 24,000 pounds, a release from the British High
India continues to be an important source country of
highly skilled and skilled migrants and Indian migrants
continue to do well under Tier 1 and 2 of the points based
system, with New Delhi accounting for the highest number of
Tier 2 applications worldwide.
Tier 2 (ICT) will no longer lead to settlement in the UK,
to reflect the intrinsically temporary nature of ICT roles,
the release said.
The UK Government also accepted changes to Tier 1
recommended by the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) and has
set out further details of how it will implement changes the
MAC recommended to Tier 2.
It also reintroduced points for Bachelor Degrees for
those with high previous earnings (of at least 35,000 pounds).
"Under the new rules, those with very high previous
earnings of at least 1,50,000 pounds but no formal
qualifications to come to the UK using Tier 1 will be
allowed," the release said.
It also increased 15 points for Master`s Degrees from the
current 10 points.
The initial grant of leave for Tier 1 (general) will be 2
years, reduced from 3, with a further 3?year extension for
those working in highly skilled employment, it said.
The release said graduates of UK medical/dental schools
will be able to work as doctors/dentists in training and may
switch into Tier 1 (post-study work) on completing their
Tier 1 (General) migrants will not be permitted to work
as a professional sportsman (including as a sports coach), the
Under the Tier-II, differentiated points for sponsorship
under the General and Intra-Company Transfer categories were
In Tier-II, the Intra-Company Transfer will be split into
The points based system was launched two years ago with
the aim of providing a flexible way to identify and attract
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Pakistan jumps into Kohinoor controversy, says diamond was gifted to England
- Despite complete ban, four die after consuming spurious liquor in Bihar
- JNU teachers claim 'sex racket, use of drugs, alcohol rampant inside campus'
- These 5 apps are quietly eating up your data plan! Know which ones
- Bipasha Basu - Karan Singh Grover wedding: Check out interesting details about mehendi ceremony