Britain `invaded 90 percent` of world`s countries: study
London: Britain, which held sway over India for around 200 years, has invaded almost 90 per cent of the world`s countries in its history, barring only 22 nations, a new study has found.
An analysis of the histories of almost 200 nations found that only 22 countries, including far off Luxembourg, Guatemala, Tajikistan and the Marshall Islands in the Pacific have never experienced a British assault.
The study is part of a new book - comes against the background of maps which show that at its height the Empire ruled over almost a quarter of the world`s population, the `Daily Mail` reported.
Author of the book `All the Countries We`ve Ever Invaded: And the Few We Never Got Round To` Stuart Laycock worked his way around the countries on the globe alphabetically to see if British forces had ever strayed into each territory.
However, only a very small proportion of Laycock`s total list of invaded countries made up formal dominions of the Empire.
The remainder have been included if a military incursion was achieved through force, the threat of force, or by negotiation or payment.
Raids by British pirates, privateers and armed explorers have been included if they were acting on the behalf or approval of the government
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday