Britain recognises Syrian opposition
London: Britain has recognised the National Coalition of Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people.
British Foreign Minister William Hague informed the parliament Tuesday in this regard.
France recognised the Syrian Opposition in a similar way Nov 14, a move Syria`s deputy foreign minister denounced as "immoral".
The European Union`s ministerial council for foreign affairs said Monday it had recognised the opposition coalition as a legal representative of the interests of the Syrian people.
But it held back from extending it diplomatic recognition, leaving that to be decided by individual EU member states.
The coalition, formed following an opposition conference in Qatar earlier this month, claims to represent 80 percent of all opponents of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal