Britain recognises Syrian opposition
London: Britain has recognised the National Coalition of Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people.
British Foreign Minister William Hague informed the parliament Tuesday in this regard.
France recognised the Syrian Opposition in a similar way Nov 14, a move Syria`s deputy foreign minister denounced as "immoral".
The European Union`s ministerial council for foreign affairs said Monday it had recognised the opposition coalition as a legal representative of the interests of the Syrian people.
But it held back from extending it diplomatic recognition, leaving that to be decided by individual EU member states.
The coalition, formed following an opposition conference in Qatar earlier this month, claims to represent 80 percent of all opponents of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Brexit will greatly weaken EU, says European Commission Vice-President Maros Sefcovic
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar