Britain recognises Syrian opposition
London: Britain has recognised the National Coalition of Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people.
British Foreign Minister William Hague informed the parliament Tuesday in this regard.
France recognised the Syrian Opposition in a similar way Nov 14, a move Syria`s deputy foreign minister denounced as "immoral".
The European Union`s ministerial council for foreign affairs said Monday it had recognised the opposition coalition as a legal representative of the interests of the Syrian people.
But it held back from extending it diplomatic recognition, leaving that to be decided by individual EU member states.
The coalition, formed following an opposition conference in Qatar earlier this month, claims to represent 80 percent of all opponents of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'