Britain recognises Syrian opposition
London: Britain has recognised the National Coalition of Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces as the legitimate representative of the Syrian people.
British Foreign Minister William Hague informed the parliament Tuesday in this regard.
France recognised the Syrian Opposition in a similar way Nov 14, a move Syria`s deputy foreign minister denounced as "immoral".
The European Union`s ministerial council for foreign affairs said Monday it had recognised the opposition coalition as a legal representative of the interests of the Syrian people.
But it held back from extending it diplomatic recognition, leaving that to be decided by individual EU member states.
The coalition, formed following an opposition conference in Qatar earlier this month, claims to represent 80 percent of all opponents of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured