Britain set for the coldest winter in a century
London: Having weathered a week of deluge, the Brits are in for more trouble as a severe chill is slated to set in tonight with temperatures plummeting below freezing, marking the beginning of what is being billed as the coldest winter ever in a hundred years.
The temperatures are expected to drop to minus 3°C this week and as low as 20°C in months of December and January, the Daily Mail reported.
Snow has already begun to fall on mountains and other areas of high ground. Other areas would start receiving snowfall by the next week.
The weather forecasters warn that “cold, drier spell that starts tonight could be only a brief respite from the rain. More heavy showers are expected to return early next week, causing more misery to those trying to combat flood damage”, the report added.
Widespread frost is expected overnight with northerly winds and clearer skies adding to the chill.
There are also fears of disruption of road and rail networks in the offing as the snow blizzards start lashing the country, but the country seems to be geared up to tackle the frost.
The report has it that local authorities in England and Wales, said they had stockpiled 1.3million tons of road salt and hundreds of gritters to manage the situation.
The authorities said they would be keeping people updated about the weather forecasts via social media like Facebook, Twitter, etc.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest