Britain set for the coldest winter in a century
London: Having weathered a week of deluge, the Brits are in for more trouble as a severe chill is slated to set in tonight with temperatures plummeting below freezing, marking the beginning of what is being billed as the coldest winter ever in a hundred years.
The temperatures are expected to drop to minus 3°C this week and as low as 20°C in months of December and January, the Daily Mail reported.
Snow has already begun to fall on mountains and other areas of high ground. Other areas would start receiving snowfall by the next week.
The weather forecasters warn that “cold, drier spell that starts tonight could be only a brief respite from the rain. More heavy showers are expected to return early next week, causing more misery to those trying to combat flood damage”, the report added.
Widespread frost is expected overnight with northerly winds and clearer skies adding to the chill.
There are also fears of disruption of road and rail networks in the offing as the snow blizzards start lashing the country, but the country seems to be geared up to tackle the frost.
The report has it that local authorities in England and Wales, said they had stockpiled 1.3million tons of road salt and hundreds of gritters to manage the situation.
The authorities said they would be keeping people updated about the weather forecasts via social media like Facebook, Twitter, etc.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory