Britain summons Syrian envoy, warns of new sanctions
Cairo: Egyptians rallied in thousands in
a mass show of unity at the iconic Tahrir Square on Friday, a week
after Muslim-Christian violence killed 15 people, and also
used the occasion to show solidarity with the Palestinians.
Activists had called for the Friday gathering after
the sectarian violence disrupted peace in the country.
The mass gathering came as the woman who had
indirectly sparked the dispute was arrested and charged with
26-year-old Abeer Talaat Fakhry was living with her
Christian husband in the southern city of Assiut when she ran
away from home, converted to Islam and informally married a
Muslim man called Yassin Thabet, Al Jazeera said.
Violence had erupted after the issue led to confusion
and rumours that she was being held in a church against her
will. Muslims surrounded the church and demanded that she be
The violence was been blamed on Salafists, members of
a hardline, puritanical Islamic movement.
The Friday gathering today aimed to condemn the
violence and showcase unity among Egyptians.
"If you attack a Christian, you`re attacking all
Egyptians," said a man speaking at the Square.
Many of those gathered had come to show their support
for Palestinian unity ahead of "Nakba day" marking the
creation of the state of Israel and displacement of thousands
Demonstrators celebrated the reconciliation deal
signed recently between Hamas, Fatah and other Palestinian
People waved Palestinian flags and banners with
slogans for Egyptian national unity.
Meanwhile, a few hundred Coptic Christians also
demonstrated outside the state television headquarters,
calling for justice over the weekend`s sectarian violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore