Britain suspends direct flights from Yemen
London: Britain on Wednesday suspended direct
flights from Yemen as a part of measures to improve security
following the failed Detroit airliner attack.
After announcing the measures, Prime Minister told the
House of Commons the steps are in response to a growing threat
from al-Qaida affiliated terrorists based in Yemen.
"This is the Yemen-based organisation with close links to
the al-Qaeda core in Pakistan. And we know that a number of
terrorist cells are actively trying to attack Britain and
other countries," Brown was quoted as saying by Times Online.
A new "no fly" list will also be introduced to ban terror
suspects from boarding flights to the UK as part of a package
of measures to improve security following last month`s failed
Detroit plane bombing, Brown said.
The list will be complemented by a larger list of people
who will be subject to enhanced security checks before
boarding a plane to Britain.
He said the measures would ensure that individuals
"posing the greatest risk" could not travel to the UK.
But the prime minister hoped that flights could be
resumed as soon as possible as UK aviation officials were
currently in Yemen to discuss improved aviation security in
Yemen is under intense US and Western pressure to clamp
down on Al-Qaeda, which claimed responsibility for the
December 25 bid to blow up a flight from Amsterdam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY