Britain to close borders if eurozone collapses
London: Britain will close its borders to people from countries like Greece if the eurozone -- the group of 17 countries which use the euro as their common currency -- collapses, British Prime Minister David Cameron has said.
Cameron has vowed to do "whatever it takes" to protect Britain from a flow of migrants, the Daily Express reported.
The prime minister was asked by MPs at a hearing of the House of Commons` liaison committee about the danger that Britain could be seen as a safe haven for migrants if the single currency imploded.
"We obviously have contingency plans for all sorts of different eventualities. That is the right thing for a government when there is so much uncertainty," Cameron said.
Membership of the European Union means countries - in most cases - are powerless to keep out citizens of other European countries but limits are allowed in "exceptional" circumstances.
"I think the legal position is that if there are extraordinary stresses and strains it is possible to take action to restrict migratory flows," Cameron said.
Asked whether he would toughen border rules in relation to troubled states such as Greece, Cameron said: "I would be prepared to do whatever it takes to keep our country safe, to keep our banking system strong, to keep our economy robust."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Saif Ali Khan injured, rushed to hospital! – Details inside
- BSF prevents entry of 300 Bangladesi nationals in Tripura
- BJP corner Arvind Kejriwal, accuses 'stubborn' AAP of politicizing its mistakes
- Serena Williams battles rivals, self-doubt at Wimbledon
- Top 5 signs that your boyfriend is too controlling!