Britain to send N-sub on Falklands patrol
London: Britain will send a nuclear submarine to the South Atlantic to protect the Falkland Islands from the threat of Argentine military action, Daily Mail reported on Saturday.
Prime Minister David Cameron has personally approved plans for one of the Navy`s most sophisticated Trafalgar-class submarines to sail to the region.
Significantly, the heavily-armed vessel is set to be in the islands` waters by April - the 30th anniversary of the start of the 1982 war.
It will provide an outer cordon of unseen protection for the Falklands.
The move will re-open wounds over the Argentine flagship General Belgrano, which was controversially sunk by a British submarine during the two-month conflict with the loss of 323 sailors.
The deployment is certain to infuriate the Argentine government and lead to further deterioration in the already fraught relations between Britain and Buenos Aires, the Mail said.
Tensions between the two countries have increased dramatically after months of sabre-rattling there over sovereignty of the disputed territory, which has been British since the 1830s.
Protesters who have vowed to target a different British business every week, threw paint bombs at the HSBC branch in Buenos Aires on Friday.
On Thursday, a Union Jack flag was burned outside the British embassy in the capital.
On Friday, the defence ministry refused to discuss the move of one of the Navy`s most lethal assets to the South Atlantic. "We don`t comment on submarine deployments for operational security," a spokesman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price