Britain to submit resolution to UNSC over Syria
London: Britain will submit a draft resolution to the UN Security Council seeking to authorise "necessary measures" to protect civilians in the wake of alleged chemical weapon attacks in Syria, Prime Minister David Cameron said on Wednesday.
"Britain has drafted a resolution condemning the attack by the Assad regime, and authorising all necessary measures under Chapter 7 of the UN Charter to protect civilians from chemical weapons," Xinhua reported citing a statement released by 10 Downing Street.
It said Cameron has also called on the UN Security Council to "live up to its responsibilities".
The resolution will be put forward at a meeting of the permanent members of the Security Council later Wednesday in New York.
Cameron held a further discussion with US President Barack Obama late Tuesday about the alleged chemical weapons attack in Syria.
Both leaders agreed that "all the information available confirmed a chemical weapons attack had taken place, noting that even the Iranian president and the Syrian regime had conceded this" and "they were in no doubt that the Assad regime was responsible".
However, Cameron confirmed that the British government had not yet taken a decision on the specific nature of the response, but that it would be "legal and specific to the chemical weapons attack".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'