Britain, US to fund joint counter-terrorism unit in Yemen
London: Britain and the US will jointly fund a counter-terrorism unit in Yemen, a British government announcement said on Sunday.
The British administration said the plan had been agreed upon by the two nations in response to the failed attempt by an al Qaeda operative to down a passenger jet in Detroit, Michigan, on Christmas Day.
Additionally, the two countries will seek more UN intervention against the growing terrorism threat out of Somalia, where a weak central government has been unable to control the growing threat of local terrorist groups.
British Prime Minister Gordon Brown on Friday called for a summit of world leaders later this month to discuss the security situation in Yemen.
The proposed Yemeni counter-terrorism unit would be funded jointly by the US and Britain. It would also provide support for Yemen`s coast guard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane