Britain`s Hague meets Syrian activists in London
London: British Foreign Secretary William Hague met pro-democracy Syrian activists in London on Thursday, describing them as exiles from a "brutal regime that has lost all legitimacy”.
Hague met human rights activist Catherine Talli, who was detained by the Syrian authorities in May this year before being released, as well as opposition member Bassam Ishak, a Foreign Office spokeswoman said.
It was not the first time Hague had met such activists but the meeting took place amid growing Western condemnation of the crackdown on protesters against President Bashar al-Assad`s regime.
"Catherine Talli and Bassam Ishak have been forced into exile by a brutal regime that has lost all legitimacy. President Assad must step aside so that credible reform can begin," Hague said.
"Syrians from all walks of life and all religious communities have been united in their opposition to the regime`s attempts to violently suppress their legitimate aspirations for a better future.”
"It is now vital for the many groups that form the Syrian opposition to unite and work together to define a shared vision for the future of Syria."
The Foreign Office spokeswoman said British officials had met several members of the opposition at various levels and passed on messages "about the need for this to be an inclusive and peaceful process”.
She said Britain was "facilitating" opposition groups to engage with each other, adding: "We believe the transition should be a Syrian-led process and we will respond as appropriate to specific requests for our support."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown