Britain’s Labour closes gap on opposition in latest survey
London: British Prime Minister Gordon Brown on Sunday received a shot in the arm with a new survey showing that his ruling Labour party had closed the gap with the opposition Conservatives to just six percentage points, raising the spectre of a hung Parliament.
The Ipsos MORI survey for the Observer, which is likely to cause alarm in Tory ranks and boost Labour`s hope of performing a "great escape", puts the Conservatives on 37 percent, just six points ahead of Labour on 31 percent.
The Liberal Democrats are on 17 percent.
It is the narrowest gap between the two main contenders in any poll since last December and demonstrated that, rather than powering towards a landslide victory, David Cameron`s Conservative party is struggling to capture the number of floating voters it needed to win a decisive mandate.
The poll, which indicated economic optimism at its highest level since 1997, suggested that Labour may be benefiting from a return of a "feel-good" factor as the country heads out of recession.
According to the survey, 43 percent of the public now believe the economy will perform better over the next year, compared to 23 percent who think it will deteriorate and 28
percent who say it will stay the same.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence