Britain’s Labour closes gap on opposition in latest survey
London: British Prime Minister Gordon Brown on Sunday received a shot in the arm with a new survey showing that his ruling Labour party had closed the gap with the opposition Conservatives to just six percentage points, raising the spectre of a hung Parliament.
The Ipsos MORI survey for the Observer, which is likely to cause alarm in Tory ranks and boost Labour`s hope of performing a "great escape", puts the Conservatives on 37 percent, just six points ahead of Labour on 31 percent.
The Liberal Democrats are on 17 percent.
It is the narrowest gap between the two main contenders in any poll since last December and demonstrated that, rather than powering towards a landslide victory, David Cameron`s Conservative party is struggling to capture the number of floating voters it needed to win a decisive mandate.
The poll, which indicated economic optimism at its highest level since 1997, suggested that Labour may be benefiting from a return of a "feel-good" factor as the country heads out of recession.
According to the survey, 43 percent of the public now believe the economy will perform better over the next year, compared to 23 percent who think it will deteriorate and 28
percent who say it will stay the same.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof