Britain`s Prince Philip recovering after surgery
London: Queen Elizabeth II`s husband Prince Philip underwent an exploratory operation on his abdomen on Friday, and was said to be making satisfactory progress in his recovery.
The Duke of Edinburgh, who turns 92 on Monday, was admitted to the private London Clinic on Thursday evening for what Buckingham Palace said was a planned operation under general anaesthetic.
It was business as usual, however, for Queen Elizabeth, 87, who went ahead with a visit on Friday to the BBC`s new headquarters, just a few streets away from where her husband was being treated.
The duke, who has been married to the queen for 65 years, is expected to stay in hospital for up to two weeks.
It is the fourth time in two years that Britain`s longest-serving royal consort has been hospitalised.
"The Duke of Edinburgh has had an exploratory operation following abdominal investigations," Buckingham Palace said in a brief statement.
"The results will now be analysed. At this early stage he is progressing satisfactorily.
"Further updates will continue to be issued when appropriate."
The abdominal investigations took place last week.
Prince Philip is otherwise "in good health" and had walked into the clinic "unaided" after being driven there, a palace spokeswoman said.
He had been due to join the queen as she formally opened the BBC`s refurbished headquarters at New Broadcasting House on Friday morning, but she went ahead without him.
As she toured the building, John Humphrys, one of the BBC`s top presenters, asked how Prince Philip was. She replied: "I don`t know".
The broadcaster said he looked well at a palace garden party just before entering hospital and the monarch stated: "That`s because he`s not ill".
BBC Director-General Tony Hall said he was sorry the duke was absent "and we wish him, all of us wish him, a speedy recovery".
Although he pulled out of a gala charity reception with the queen on Monday after temporarily losing his voice, the duke otherwise undertook a full diary of engagements this week.
He was back by her side the following day for a service at London`s Westminster Abbey marking the 60th anniversary of her coronation.
He also appeared in good spirits as he attended the Buckingham Palace garden party just hours before going into hospital.
He was pictured smiling in top hat and tails, chatting animatedly and sharing jokes with some of the 8,000 guests.
Peter Phillips, the duke`s eldest grandchild, said the family were being informed about his progress.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with him, we know that he`s in good hands and we`ve been kept up to date in terms of what`s happening," Princess Anne`s son told the BBC.
"But he`s one of those people who wouldn`t want you to stop just because he`s gone into hospital."
British Prime Minister David Cameron offered the duke the country`s good wishes.
"The Duke of Edinburgh is held in the highest esteem by people right across our country," he said.
"He`s an extraordinarily dedicated public servant and such an enormous support for our sovereign, that I know the whole country will be thinking about him, thinking about the family and wishing him well."
With the exception of sporting-related injuries, the duke has enjoyed good health, but there are signs that age is finally catching up with him as he approaches his 92nd birthday.
He decided to slow down his workload as he entered his 90s.
In August last year, he was admitted to hospital in Scotland with a bladder infection.
Two months earlier, a similar complaint saw him hospitalised for five nights in London, causing him to miss the last event of the queen`s diamond jubilee celebrations.
In December 2011, he was rushed to hospital with chest pains. He suffered a blocked coronary artery and required surgery, spending four nights -- including Christmas Day -- in hospital.
Married since 1947, the queen once described him as "my strength and stay all these years".
They both maintain a busy schedule and although the queen has cut back her long-haul flights this year, the duke paid a working visit to Canada in April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'