Britain`s Times makes Chilean miners team of the year
London: The 33 Chilean miners who
survived 69 days trapped underground before emerging to the
surface in joyous scenes have been named the team of the year
by The Times newspaper in Britain.
"They were ordinary men who were caught in an
extraordinary situation and rose magnificently to the
challenge. Their fortitude inspired billions of people. That
is why The Times has named Los 33 as its Team of the Year,"
the newspaper said.
The name "Los 33" came in the message scrawled by one
of the miners in red pen which was lifted to the surface 17
days after the San Jose mine collapsed.
After rescuers bored a hole into the space where the
miners were sheltering, the message was attached to the
It read: "Estamos bien en el refugio, los 33" ("We`re
well in the refuge, the 33").
The newspaper also paid tribute to the miners`
families, who refused to give them up for dead, and to the
engineers and drill operators who oversaw the rescue.
The Times yesterday named Prime Minister David Cameron
as its person of 2010 for holding together a rare British
coalition government following an inconclusive general
election in May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?