British airport partly evacuated in `chemical incident`
London: Police evacuated part of a British airport on Saturday and declared a "chemical incident" after a man tried to carry some non-identified white powder onto a plane.
A check-in area in Manchester Airport in northwest England was cleared after the substance was discovered in a bag carried by an Asian man planning to fly to London Heathrow.
However, police Superintendent Leor Giladi said there was "no imminent danger", and a source said it was unlikely the incident was terror-related.
Britain is on high alert after the terror threat assessment was raised to its second highest level on Friday, suggesting an attack is "highly likely".
A police spokesman said officers were called to Manchester Airport shortly before 12.55pm (GMT) by security staff from the check-in desk at Terminal 3.
They had "discovered a non-identified white powder in a bag which a man was attempting to carry on to a plane".
"Officers attended along with the fire service and they declared it a chemical incident," the spokesman added.
"The check-in desk at Terminal 3 has been cordoned off and a man in his 20s is helping police with their inquiries at the airport."
An airport spokeswoman later confirmed that flights were leaving from Terminal 3 but passengers had to check in at a different terminal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation