British al Qaeda gang planned 9/11 type attack
London: An al Qaeda gang of British Muslims planned to carry out a 9/11 type attack in the country, The Telegraph reported Monday.
A Jihadist group, from Birmingham, were to target crowded areas to cause "mass death" in a terror plot that was set to be even more devastating than the 7/7 London bombings, Woolwich Crown Court was told.
Two of the alleged ringleaders had received terror training in Pakistan and made martyrdom videos to be released after they had "blown themselves up".
They were taught in bomb-making, how to use weapons and poisons before returning to Britain to recruit others for their plot, the newspaper said.
A total of 11 men and one woman were arrested by police on various terrorism charges last September.
The details emerged as the trial began Monday of the three central plotters.
Irfan Naseer, 31, Irfan Khalid, 27, and Ashik Ali, 27, all unemployed from Birmingham.
On Sep 11, 2001, four coordinated suicide attacks in the US left nearly 3,000 people dead. The attackers crashed two hijacked passenger planes into the World Trade Center in New York city, one at the Pentagon, Virginia, while another crashed on a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP