British Armed Forces and Roko Cancer charity awarded
London: The British Armed Forces and the
Roko Cancer charity have been awarded in recognition of their
outstanding services to the society by a voluntarily
organisation striving to bring people of Britain, India and
Sir David Richards, Chief of the General Staff, received
the award instituted by the Pakistan, India and Britain
Friendship Forum, for the British Armed Forces services in
Afghanistan and Iraq, from Rt Hon Dominic Grieve, Attorney
Grieve also presented award to A P S Chawla and leading
members of the Roko Cancer campaign, for their work to bring
about awareness of breast cancer in India, among other places.
Dr Rami Ranger, MBE, chairman of the Pakistan, India and
Britain Friendship Forum presented a cheque for 3,500 pounds
to the Pakistan Flood Relief Fund Edhi International
foundation for the relief of the flood victims.
Speaking on the occasion, Sir Gulam Noon, leading NRI
entrepreneur and founder of the Noon products, emphasised the
need for India and Pakistan to build closer ties based on
shared language, food and heritage.
Instead of spending huge amounts on armed forces, the two
countries should concentrate on providing education and
medical facilities to their people.
He said the SAARC countries should form a union like the
European Union for betterment of their people.
"We should not allow any misguided extremists to create
havoc among us," he said.
Dr Ashraf Chohan, General Secretary of the Friendship
Forum and Lord Nazir Ahmed, said politicians of India and
Pakistan should resolve the Kashmir issue through
Teji Singh, founder chairperson of Sterling Media was
chosen for an award for outstanding achievement in Media
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick