British Asian child killer murdered in prison
London: A British Asian child killer serving a prison term has been killed in Worcestershire jail after which two of his inmates charged with the murder in a court on Saturday.
Subhan Anwar was convicted in February 2009 of murdering his partner`s two-year-old daughter, Sanam Navsarka and was serving a minimum term of 23 years in a prison in the West Midlands.
Anwar was found with a broken neck by prison officers at Long Lartin jail in Worcestershire.
Fellow inmates Gary David Smith, 47, and Lee William Newell, 44, appeared before Worcester Magistrates Court today charged with his murder, West Mercia Police said.
"An incident at HMP Long Lartin resulted in the death of prisoner Subhan Anwar. Two prisoners are now in police custody and the matter is being investigated by police," a Prison Service spokesperson said.
Sanam died with 107 injuries on her body after suffering a month of what Bradford Crown Court at Anwar`s trial heard was "unbelievable" cruelty.
A post-mortem examination revealed that her arms and legs were broken and there were 36 bruises to her head and neck, 26 to her arms, 10 to her abdomen and two bruises on her thigh revealed where she had been battered with metal poles.
The girl had also been locked in a cupboard and put in a tumble dryer.
She died after fat deposits from her broken bones got into her bloodstream.
Her mother, Zahbeena Navsarka, 21, was cleared of her murder but jailed for nine years on a lesser manslaughter charge.
Anwar and Navsarka, from Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, tried to claim Sanam had stopped breathing after they left her alone in the bath for 10 minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists