British author released on bail in Singapore
Singapore: British author Alan Shadrake,
who was arrested on charges of criminal defamation and
contempt of court, was Tuesday released on bail.
Freelance journalist Shadrake was arrested at a hotel
on Sunday, a day after he arrived here to promote his book on
alleged double standards in Singapore`s use of the
75-year-old Shadrake`s arrest is linked to his
violation of the laws of the city state and not on his views
on the death penalty, the Singapore government said today.
Shadrake`s passport has been impounded.
Shadrake`s 219-page book titled `Once A Jolly Hangman:
Singapore Justice In The Dock` was filled with accounts of
high-profile cases in Singapore involving the use of the death
Commenting on Shadrake case, the Home Affairs Ministry
said: "The Singapore Government`s position on the issue of
capital punishment is not new. Those who disagree with our
position have presented their arguments and as a matter of
principle, we respect their right to hold such opposing views,
as we hope they do ours."
Shadrake is now under investigation for criminal
defamation. He is also the subject of contempt of court
proceedings initiated by the Attorney-General`s Chambers.
"His anti-death penalty views are not the issue in
these investigations; it is his violation of the laws of
Singapore," said the Ministry.
It also stressed that anyone, Singaporean or
otherwise, who breaks the law regardless of the cause he
touts, would be taken to task.
"Shadrake is no exception - he cannot expect to commit
offences and then assume that he will be exempted from being
held accountable under the law," said the ministry.
The 219-page book has accounts of capital punishment
cases and interview with former executioner Darshan Singh.
The book was launched in Kuala Lumpur last month.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know