British bomb suspect in Kenya had IED bomb kit: Police
Mombasa: A Briton on trial in Kenya for plotting bomb attacks had chemicals that could be used to make "highly volatile" explosives, a British detective told a Mombasa court on Friday.
Suspected British militant Jermaine Grant, accused of ties to Somalia`s Al-Qaeda-linked Shebab and plotting attacks, was arrested in December 2011 in the Kenyan port city with various chemicals, batteries and switches.
Prosecutors say he planned to use them to make explosives. He denies the charges.
"These items can be found with someone with the intention of constructing an IED, (improvised explosive device)," John Reilly, from London`s Metropolitan police, told the court.
The chemicals were capable of making a "highly volatile explosion", he added.
The detective also provided evidence from mobile telephone SIM cards found on Grant, including one with an apparently coded message warning of "lions inside."
Prosecutors have accused Grant, a Muslim convert, of working with fellow Briton Samantha Lewthwaite the fugitive widow of British suicide bomber Germaine Lindsay, who blew himself up on a London Underground train on July 7, 2005, killing 26 people.
Lewthwaite, a mother-of-three and daughter of a British soldier, is wanted by Kenyan police and there was some speculation that she was involved in last year`s Westgate mall siege in Nairobi.
Grant is believed to have become radicalised as a teenager in the same British prison where "shoe bomber" Richard Reid first turned to Islam.
Reid, who claimed he was an Al-Qaeda recruit, is serving a life sentence in the United States for trying to blow up a flight from Paris to Miami in December 2001.
In December 2011 Grant pleaded guilty to charges of being in the country illegally and lying about his nationality, for which he was sentenced to two jail terms of two years, to run concurrently.
The trial continues on August 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- British PM to put stamp on Brexit before G20 summit
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway