London: A British charity has cut ties with the country`s top selling newspaper amid claims that it may have hacked into the mobile phones of bereaved military families, BBC said Thursday.
The Royal British Legion (RBL), which provides welfare support to military personnel and has News of the World (NoW) as its campaign partner, said it was shocked by the allegations.
Chief of the Defence Staff Gen Sir David Richards said the allegations against the paper were disgusting.
The paper`s owner, News International, said it would be "horrified" if the reports turned out to be true.
The phone numbers of relatives of military personnel killed in Iraq and Afghanistan were found in the files of private investigator Glenn Mulcaire, who had been working for the News of the World, BBC said quoting the Daily Telegraph.
The RBL said it was reviewing its advertising with News International, which publishes the Sun and The Times, as well as the NoW, Britain`s top-selling newspaper.
A spokesman for the charity said: "We can`t with any conscience campaign alongside NoW on behalf of Armed Forces families while it stands accused of preying on these same families in the lowest depths of their misery."