British Cold War nuclear bunker up for sale on eBay
London: A Cold War-era nuclear bunker in Britain has been put up for sale on online auction site eBay, with bidders already pushing the price up to more than 27,000 pounds within just three days.
"A rare opportunity to acquire a piece of Cold War history," read the sale advert on the website yesterday.
"Set in a stunning location with glorious views. Your own nuclear bunker within a plot of land and much original equipment."
After being advertised at a starting price of 500 pounds late Thursday, a bidding war saw the price of the underground shelter rocket, increasing more than 50 times in less than three days.
Late yesterday the price stood at 27,424 pounds after 67 bids.
The bunker came into service in 1959 and was used by the Royal Observer Corps, a civilian defence organisation composed mainly of volunteers who had the task of reporting nuclear attack and fallout.
The shelter, in the Peak District National Park in central England, was fully operational until 1991 when it was decommissioned as the Soviet Union collapsed.
Measuring 15 metres, the bunker is on farmland and in an "elevated position with panoramic views."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers