British Conservative MP arrested on suspicion of rape
London: A top British Conservative MP has been arrested on suspicion of rape and sexual assault from Pendleton in Lancashire.
Nigel Evans, 55, Deputy Speaker in the House of Commons was arrested in the village of Pendleton near Clitheroe on suspicion of rape and sexual assault, a spokesman for Lancashire Police said yesterday.
The alleged victims are understood to be men in their 20s.
It is understood that Prime Minister David Cameron has been made aware of the arrest.
A House of Commons spokesman declined to comment and said it was a police matter.
The police said, "The man will be interviewed at a police station in Lancashire during the course of the day."
"The offences are alleged to have been committed in Pendleton between July 2009 and March 2013. We take all allegations of a sexual nature extremely seriously and understand how difficult it can be for victims to have the confidence to come forward," police said.
"As a Constabulary, we are committed to investigating sexual offences sensitively but robustly recognising the impact that these types of crimes have on victims," they said.
"We would encourage anyone who has experienced sexual abuse, or who has information about it, to have the confidence to report it to us knowing that we will take it seriously, deal with it sensitively and investigate it thoroughly," they said.
Conservative MP Evans, who is from Swansea and represents Ribble Valley in Lancashire, was promoted to Deputy Speaker in 2010.
He came out as gay that same year, saying that he was "tired of living a lie".
He has previously been a vice chairman of the Conservative Party from 1999 to 2001.
Under Iain Duncan Smith`s leadership of the party, he was promoted to the shadow cabinet as shadow Welsh secretary - a post he held for two years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!