British far right leader alleges `racial attack`
London: Nick Griffin, the leader of far
right British Nationalist Party who sparked a row after a
controversial appearance on a news channel, has claimed that he was
racially abused by an Asian man.
The BNP leader, who supports an end to all immigration
to Britain, was giving evidence at the Preston Crown Court, at
the trial of Tariq Khalid, 23, who is said to have made
gestures with his hand as if threatening to shoot Griffin.
The incident occurred last November when 50-year-old
Griffin joined supporters outside Burnley police station in a
protest against the arrest of four BNP sympathisers for
distributing leaflets linking Muslim gangs to the heroin
Last month, protesters broke into the grounds of a news channel
studios shortly before the far-right politician`s
controversial appearance on a top TV political panel show, as
hundreds protested outside.
Ian Metcalfe, for the prosecution, said that Khalid
was spotted several times driving past the demonstration in
his silver Vauxhall Astra.
On the second occasion he shouted out of his window:
"White bastards!" He then went farther "by words or hand
gestures to threaten Griffin that he was going to shoot him or
have him shot".
Griffin`s party took the threat so seriously that the
Member of the European Parliament for the North West retreated
to his car for half an hour, it was claimed.
Khalid denied using racially abusive and threatening
behaviour against Griffin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Rs 7L for Sikh girl, Rs 5L for a Brahmin: `Love jihad` WhatsApp message goes viral in Gujarat