British Foreign Minister in Russia to thaw ties
Moscow: David Miliband was on Monday making the first visit by a British Foreign Secretary to Russia for five years, seeking warm relations plunged back to a Cold War chill by a series of bitter rows.
Shortly after arriving late yesterday, Miliband met with his Russian counterpart Sergei Lavrov, with more talks to follow today, the British embassy said. He was also due to meet business and civil society leaders.
Miliband`s trip to Moscow coincides with the third anniversary of the fatal poisoning in London of former spy turned Kremlin critic Alexander Litvinenko in 2006, a crime that led to an unprecedented degradation in ties.
Writing in his blog, Miliband admitted the differences but said a better relationship was essential for both countries.
"We don`t always see eye to eye with Russia, but we share the same global challenges and it is important that we work on them together."
Russia`s Ambassador to London Yuri Fedotov declared in the Guardian newspaper that "the visit is a chance to reset our relationship”.
But in a separate interview with Russia`s Interfax news agency, Fedotov said the two sides would essentially have to agree to differ on a string of disputes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you