British hostage held in Iraq since 2007 freed
London: Peter Moore, a Briton kidnapped with four bodyguards in Iraq in 2007, has been released, British Foreign Secretary David Miliband said Wednesday.
Moore, a 36-year-old computer expert, had experienced an "unspeakable two and a half years of misery, fear and uncertainty," he said, adding that the Briton was in good health.
"He`s in a remarkable frame of mind given the two and a half years that he has had," Miliband added.
Prime Minister Gordon Brown said: "I am hugely relieved by the wonderful news that Peter has been freed, and will be reunited with his family as quickly as possible.
"They have faced a terrible ordeal, and I know that the whole nation will share their joy that he is coming home. I pay tribute to all those who helped in the protracted effort to secure the release."
IT expert Moore and his four bodyguards were seized from the finance ministry in Baghdad in May 2007 by some 40 gunmen from a group called the League of the Righteous.
Since then, the four bodyguards have been confirmed dead or believed to have been killed.
Brown added: "At this moment of celebration, we also remember the families of British hostages who have been killed in Iraq and elsewhere.
"And we pledge to continue to do everything we can to bring British hostages back to their loved ones, including the remaining hostage of the group in Iraq, Alan McMenemy. I demand that the hostage takers return him to us."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal