British mom kills kids, spends night with bodies
London: A British woman faces at least 38 years in prison on charges of killing her two children while they slept in a hotel room in Spain and spending the night with their lifeless bodies.
Lianne Smith, 45, admitted suffocating her five-year-old daughter Rebecca Smith and 11-month-old son Daniel with a plastic bag at a hotel in Lloret de Mar in the Costa Brava coastal region in May 2010.
She went on trial at the Provincial Court in Girona, in northeast Spain. A jury will determine whether she is criminally responsible for the children`s deaths, The Sun reported.
Her defence lawyer is seeking an acquittal, claiming the woman was in a state of "psychiatric disturbance" when the incident took place.
The killings took place shortly after the woman`s partner was arrested in Barcelona by Spanish police acting on a European arrest warrant. He was deported to Britain.
The family had been living in Spain since 2007 after fleeing Lichfield, Staffordshire, when the man was accused of sexually abusing a young girl.
The following day, the woman asked the hotel`s reception for the police and an ambulance to be called. She confessed to the police and judicial authorities that she had killed her children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test