British MP quits post amid expenses claim probe
London: An MP, charged with probing expense claims of colleagues, quit his position as a newspaper on Friday raised allegations about his own expenses worth thousands of pounds.
Conservative party MP David Curry claimed almost GBP 30,000 (EUR 33,500, USD 49,800) from the public purse for the cost of running a second home that he was barred from using, according to the Daily Telegraph on Friday.
Curry, from the Conservatives, stood down as head of the House of Commons committee charged with policing lawmakers` expenses late Thursday, and now faces a formal inquiry into the allegations.
"I used the cottage to carry out my duties as a constituency MP (member of parliament) and am content with my arrangements," he said in a statement.
"However, given the particular responsibilities of the chairman of the Committee of Standards and Privileges, I shall refer my case to the Commissioner on Parliamentary Standards John Lyon and will stand down from the chairmanship during the course of his inquiries," he said.
The newspaper said Curry`s wife had barred him from using the cottage as a condition of their marital reconciliation.
The long-running expenses scandal has rocked the political establishment, sparked a wave of resignations of lawmakers and forced Prime Minister Gordon Brown to announce an overhaul of the system.
The newspaper published a series of leaks earlier this year showing lawmakers had claimed for everything from a duck house to cleaning a moat at a country home, sparking public outrage as Britain struggled through a recession.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog