British Muslim charged with Syria-related terror offences
London: A 29-year-old British Muslim was on Thursday charged with terror offences linked to Syria following a series of arrests during counter-terrorism raids in the UK.
Jamshed Javeed, from Manchester in northern England, was charged with the intention of assisting others to commit acts of terrorism and engaging in conduct in preparation for giving effect to his intention.
Javeed today appeared at London`s Westminster Magistrates` Court. He was remanded in custody and will next appear at the Old Bailey court in London on April 4.
Javeed was one of four people held after counter-terrorism raids on Tuesday.
An 18-year-old man, from Levenshulme, and a 21-year-old woman, from Trafford, were also held in Manchester. British police officers arrested another 29-year-old man from Oxford.
All three were detained on suspicion of being concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism and remain in police custody and a?number of properties were also being searched.
Detective Chief Superintendent Tony Mole, head of the North West Counter-Terrorism Unit, said the arrests were not linked to any imminent threat to the UK.
He said: "The operation has been running since autumn 2013 since we first became aware of a number of individuals travelling from the north-west to the battlefields of Syria.
"You may have seen headlines in recent months linking people from Manchester to Syria and you will naturally have been concerned about this."
Mole said: "Like other major cities across the UK we have been aware for some time of people travelling to war-torn places for terrorism-related purposes. This is not a problem unique to Manchester or the north-west ? it is an issue that affects different communities across the country and elsewhere."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'