British Muslim charged with Syria-related terror offences
London: A 29-year-old British Muslim was on Thursday charged with terror offences linked to Syria following a series of arrests during counter-terrorism raids in the UK.
Jamshed Javeed, from Manchester in northern England, was charged with the intention of assisting others to commit acts of terrorism and engaging in conduct in preparation for giving effect to his intention.
Javeed today appeared at London`s Westminster Magistrates` Court. He was remanded in custody and will next appear at the Old Bailey court in London on April 4.
Javeed was one of four people held after counter-terrorism raids on Tuesday.
An 18-year-old man, from Levenshulme, and a 21-year-old woman, from Trafford, were also held in Manchester. British police officers arrested another 29-year-old man from Oxford.
All three were detained on suspicion of being concerned in the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism and remain in police custody and a?number of properties were also being searched.
Detective Chief Superintendent Tony Mole, head of the North West Counter-Terrorism Unit, said the arrests were not linked to any imminent threat to the UK.
He said: "The operation has been running since autumn 2013 since we first became aware of a number of individuals travelling from the north-west to the battlefields of Syria.
"You may have seen headlines in recent months linking people from Manchester to Syria and you will naturally have been concerned about this."
Mole said: "Like other major cities across the UK we have been aware for some time of people travelling to war-torn places for terrorism-related purposes. This is not a problem unique to Manchester or the north-west ? it is an issue that affects different communities across the country and elsewhere."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Black with a hint of gold, Sonam Kapoor's debonair suit will win your heart!
- Are you daring enough to visit THIS spooky 'Island of the Dolls'?
- Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson became more popular after death: Amitabh Bachchan
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test, Day 3 — As it happened...
- Two dead, 10 injured as under-construction building collapses in Hyderabad