British Muslims boycott lectures on evolution
London: Muslim medical students in Britain are boycotting lectures on evolution because they say those clash with the holy Quran, a media report said Monday.
An increasing number of biology students as well as trainee doctors at the University College London (UCL) are walking out of lectures on Darwinist theory claiming they conflict with "creationist ideas" established in Islamic holy book, said the Daily Mail.
Darwinist theory forms an important part of the syllabus.
The Muslims maintain that Allah created the world, mankind and all known species in a single act.
Steve Jones, emeritus professor of human genetics at the UCL, said: "They don`t come or they complain about it or they send notes or emails saying they shouldn`t have to learn this stuff."
A cleric of the Masjid al-Tawhid mosque in Leyton near London has received death threats for suggesting that Darwinism and Islam might be compatible, the daily said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Kerry arrives in India for strategic dialogue; terrorism emanating from Pakistan, visa issues on agenda
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out
- Curfew lifted in Kashmir Valley, Rajnath Singh to head all-party team on Sept 4
- ISS astronaut Jeff Williams shares captivating image of the USA's west coast! - See pic