British Muslims boycott lectures on evolution
London: Muslim medical students in Britain are boycotting lectures on evolution because they say those clash with the holy Quran, a media report said Monday.
An increasing number of biology students as well as trainee doctors at the University College London (UCL) are walking out of lectures on Darwinist theory claiming they conflict with "creationist ideas" established in Islamic holy book, said the Daily Mail.
Darwinist theory forms an important part of the syllabus.
The Muslims maintain that Allah created the world, mankind and all known species in a single act.
Steve Jones, emeritus professor of human genetics at the UCL, said: "They don`t come or they complain about it or they send notes or emails saying they shouldn`t have to learn this stuff."
A cleric of the Masjid al-Tawhid mosque in Leyton near London has received death threats for suggesting that Darwinism and Islam might be compatible, the daily said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand