British national kidnapped in Nigeria: Official
Lagos: A British national has been kidnapped by gunmen shortly after landing at the international airport in Lagos, Nigeria`s largest city, a diplomat and a private security source said on Friday.
"There was a kidnapping of a Briton and we are working with the Nigerian authorities," said Wale Adebayo, spokesman at the Deputy High Commission in Lagos told AFP.
He declined to provide any details, including the day the attack occurred.
A private security source familiar with incident however told AFP that the British man was abducted on Tuesday while travelling into the city after landing at the airport.
This source, who requested anonymity, said there were strong indications that the gunmen were seeking a ransom payment.
The kidnapping of foreigners for ransom is common in Nigeria, particularly around the oil-rich southern coast, and there has also been a rise in such incidents in Lagos.
Foreigners have also been kidnapped in the north, but those attacks are considered a different and have been blamed on Islamist extremists.
Several abductions in the north have led to the deaths of foreign hostages.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon