British Navy nabs 13 Somali pirates in Indian Ocean
London: The British Royal Navy has captured 13 Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean, Defence Ministry said.
A British Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) supply ship and a US Navy vessel intercepted the pirates` boat, which refused to stop despite warning shots fired from a British helicopter.
The British Navy then sent commandos to board the boat, capturing the pirates and seizing their weapons, Xinhua reported Friday.
Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said the British troops, part of a NATO-led counter-piracy force, could be "proud" of the success.
Captain Gerry Northwood, who leads the operation, said Tuesday`s capture will "send a clear message to other Somali pirates that we will not tolerate their attacks on international shipping".
Earlier this week, the same British ship, RFA Fort Victoria, foiled an attempt by Somali pirates to attack cargo ships in the Indian Ocean, the ministry added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur