British Navy nabs 13 Somali pirates in Indian Ocean
London: The British Royal Navy has captured 13 Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean, Defence Ministry said.
A British Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) supply ship and a US Navy vessel intercepted the pirates` boat, which refused to stop despite warning shots fired from a British helicopter.
The British Navy then sent commandos to board the boat, capturing the pirates and seizing their weapons, Xinhua reported Friday.
Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said the British troops, part of a NATO-led counter-piracy force, could be "proud" of the success.
Captain Gerry Northwood, who leads the operation, said Tuesday`s capture will "send a clear message to other Somali pirates that we will not tolerate their attacks on international shipping".
Earlier this week, the same British ship, RFA Fort Victoria, foiled an attempt by Somali pirates to attack cargo ships in the Indian Ocean, the ministry added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Injured Jesse Ryder ends Essex stay
- After 22 months, NASA regains contact with sun-watching STEREO-B spacecraft!
- Parents, beware: Your lack of involvement might be making your child obese!
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley to inaugurate BRICS meet on arbitration
- Raveena Tandon 'honoured' to receive award from Dharmendra