British Navy nabs 13 Somali pirates in Indian Ocean
London: The British Royal Navy has captured 13 Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean, Defence Ministry said.
A British Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) supply ship and a US Navy vessel intercepted the pirates` boat, which refused to stop despite warning shots fired from a British helicopter.
The British Navy then sent commandos to board the boat, capturing the pirates and seizing their weapons, Xinhua reported Friday.
Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said the British troops, part of a NATO-led counter-piracy force, could be "proud" of the success.
Captain Gerry Northwood, who leads the operation, said Tuesday`s capture will "send a clear message to other Somali pirates that we will not tolerate their attacks on international shipping".
Earlier this week, the same British ship, RFA Fort Victoria, foiled an attempt by Somali pirates to attack cargo ships in the Indian Ocean, the ministry added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH