British Navy nabs 13 Somali pirates in Indian Ocean
London: The British Royal Navy has captured 13 Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean, Defence Ministry said.
A British Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) supply ship and a US Navy vessel intercepted the pirates` boat, which refused to stop despite warning shots fired from a British helicopter.
The British Navy then sent commandos to board the boat, capturing the pirates and seizing their weapons, Xinhua reported Friday.
Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said the British troops, part of a NATO-led counter-piracy force, could be "proud" of the success.
Captain Gerry Northwood, who leads the operation, said Tuesday`s capture will "send a clear message to other Somali pirates that we will not tolerate their attacks on international shipping".
Earlier this week, the same British ship, RFA Fort Victoria, foiled an attempt by Somali pirates to attack cargo ships in the Indian Ocean, the ministry added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY