British Navy nabs 13 Somali pirates in Indian Ocean
London: The British Royal Navy has captured 13 Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean, Defence Ministry said.
A British Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) supply ship and a US Navy vessel intercepted the pirates` boat, which refused to stop despite warning shots fired from a British helicopter.
The British Navy then sent commandos to board the boat, capturing the pirates and seizing their weapons, Xinhua reported Friday.
Defence Secretary Philip Hammond said the British troops, part of a NATO-led counter-piracy force, could be "proud" of the success.
Captain Gerry Northwood, who leads the operation, said Tuesday`s capture will "send a clear message to other Somali pirates that we will not tolerate their attacks on international shipping".
Earlier this week, the same British ship, RFA Fort Victoria, foiled an attempt by Somali pirates to attack cargo ships in the Indian Ocean, the ministry added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news