British Navy unveils new attack submarine
London: The British Navy has launched its latest weapon, a new attack submarine called HMS Ambush that can hit targets around 2,000 km away, The Sun reported.
The nuclear-powered vessel is the second in a series of seven submarines worth one billion pounds. It will carry Tomahawk missiles and Spearfish torpedoes.
Defence Minister Philip Dunne called it "an astonishing engineering feat".
The vessel, built by defence firm BAE, carries twice the firepower of the class of submarines it has replaced.
The Sun said its sonar can hear a ship leaving port in New York, while at the English Channel.
Its captain Peter Green said it was a "huge privilege" to take control of the vessel.
The vessel took 20 million man-hours to design and build. It will have a 98-man crew.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her