British Navy unveils new attack submarine
London: The British Navy has launched its latest weapon, a new attack submarine called HMS Ambush that can hit targets around 2,000 km away, The Sun reported.
The nuclear-powered vessel is the second in a series of seven submarines worth one billion pounds. It will carry Tomahawk missiles and Spearfish torpedoes.
Defence Minister Philip Dunne called it "an astonishing engineering feat".
The vessel, built by defence firm BAE, carries twice the firepower of the class of submarines it has replaced.
The Sun said its sonar can hear a ship leaving port in New York, while at the English Channel.
Its captain Peter Green said it was a "huge privilege" to take control of the vessel.
The vessel took 20 million man-hours to design and build. It will have a 98-man crew.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane