British-origin woman ‘who fell for a Gaddafi’ found dead in Cairo
London: A British-origin woman, who was raised in Libya and became engaged to a member of the Gaddafi family, has reportedly been found murdered in her apartment in Cairo.
The body of 31-year-old Zahra al-Boueishi, who was born in Scotland to a mother from Liverpool, was discovered by her sister Edele.
According to the Telegraph, Egyptian police have named her Libyan half-brother as a suspect, and Edele al-Boueishi says she believes her sister’s death is linked to the two girls’ extraordinary life stories.
They were both born in Britain and after years of separation had only just organised reunions with their British mother.
“We escaped all the violence. And the result of her escape was to come here and be killed,” the paper quoted Edele, as saying.
Cairo police said Zahra was killed by multiple stab wounds, the paper said.
They suspect her brother, Mohammed al-Boueishi, was at the flat on the morning she died.
They told newspapers that one line of inquiry they are pursuing is that it was an “honour killing”. It was suggested she wanted to become an actress, which the family found unacceptable.
According to the paper, Zahra got engaged with Masaoud al-Gaddafi, a distant relative of Libya’s pre-eminent family.
The relationship broke up, but the couple remained friends. During last year’s uprising, Masaoud was killed, fighting in Sirte, the paper said.
By this time, Edele said, her half-brother was challenging Zahra over money and threatening to gain control of her house, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- 'Selfie' with Bulandshahr DM B Chandrakala lands 18-year-old in jail