British-origin woman ‘who fell for a Gaddafi’ found dead in Cairo
London: A British-origin woman, who was raised in Libya and became engaged to a member of the Gaddafi family, has reportedly been found murdered in her apartment in Cairo.
The body of 31-year-old Zahra al-Boueishi, who was born in Scotland to a mother from Liverpool, was discovered by her sister Edele.
According to the Telegraph, Egyptian police have named her Libyan half-brother as a suspect, and Edele al-Boueishi says she believes her sister’s death is linked to the two girls’ extraordinary life stories.
They were both born in Britain and after years of separation had only just organised reunions with their British mother.
“We escaped all the violence. And the result of her escape was to come here and be killed,” the paper quoted Edele, as saying.
Cairo police said Zahra was killed by multiple stab wounds, the paper said.
They suspect her brother, Mohammed al-Boueishi, was at the flat on the morning she died.
They told newspapers that one line of inquiry they are pursuing is that it was an “honour killing”. It was suggested she wanted to become an actress, which the family found unacceptable.
According to the paper, Zahra got engaged with Masaoud al-Gaddafi, a distant relative of Libya’s pre-eminent family.
The relationship broke up, but the couple remained friends. During last year’s uprising, Masaoud was killed, fighting in Sirte, the paper said.
By this time, Edele said, her half-brother was challenging Zahra over money and threatening to gain control of her house, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview