British Parliament recalled over Syria action
London: Prime Minister David Cameron has recalled parliament to discuss the United Kingdom`s response to an alleged chemical weapons attack in Syria even as the British Army on Tuesday began drawing up "contingency plans" for an intervention in the region.
A Downing Street spokesperson said Cameron was aware of the need to "make a clear case" if he did decide to use force. Britain`s armed forces were making sure they were in a position to respond militarily if asked to do so, the spokesperson said.
"It`s reasonable to assume our forces are making contingency plans," the spokesperson told reporters here. No decision to use force had yet been taken and any move to do so would be based on evidence from "a range of sources", the spokesperson said.
Cameron cut short his holiday in Cornwall and returned to London to respond to the mounting crisis in Syria.
He will chair a meeting of the National Security Council tomorrow to discuss the matter and parliament will reconvene on Thursday.
Cameron will meanwhile carry on discussions with world leaders to make sure any response is coordinated.
"Any decision taken will be taken under a strict international framework. Any use of chemical weapons is completely and utterly abhorrent and unacceptable...And the international community needs to respond to that,"?the premier`s spokesperson said.
Cameron is under pressure to be able to legally justify any intervention after an alleged toxic gas attack in Syria is said to have killed over 1,300 people.
A build-up of military aircraft at Britain`s base on Cyprus,?RAF Akrotiri, suggested that planning had reached a developed stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS