British PM backs foreign minister over gay rumours
London: British Prime Minister David
Cameron backed Foreign Secretary William Hague on Thursday after the
top diplomat`s aide resigned over "malicious" rumours that
they had an inappropriate relationship.
Hague yesterday issued a deeply personal statement
about his wife`s miscarriages and their difficulties in having
children as he denied having an affair with male advisor
Christopher Myers, 25.
"We have always given William our 100 percent support.
That was the case yesterday and it is the case today," said a
spokeswoman for Cameron, who is on paternity leave following
the birth of his fourth child.
"The prime minister totally understands why William
made the statement he did and he backs him 100 percent."
At a joint press conference with visiting German
Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle today attended by a scrum
of photographers and journalists, Hague brushed off repeated
questions about the issue.
"Yesterday, I made a very personal statement, which
was not an easy thing to do. I am not going to expand on that
today," he said, adding that he spoke out because he and his
wife were tired of "untrue allegations".
"As you can see we are getting on with pretty
important global issues today so we will concentrate on
those," he added.
Hague, 49, said on Wednesday that the speculation over
his relations with Myers, who had worked for him for 18
months, stemmed from the fact that they shared a hotel room
while campaigning for Britain`s general election in May.
Internet rumours about Hague and Myers were apparently
prompted by newspaper photographs showing a casually-dressed
Hague in sunglasses and a baseball cap strolling with his aide
beside the River Thames.
Hague announced Myers` resignation in his statement
yesterday, saying he had quit because of "pressure on his
family from the untrue and malicious allegations made about
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31