British PM shocked by dead girl phone hack claims

Last Updated: Tuesday, July 5, 2011 - 21:52

London: Prime Minister David Cameron on Tuesday
condemned as "truly dreadful" allegations that a British
tabloid hacked the voicemail of a missing teenage girl who was
later found murdered.

Cameron said police should investigate the claims about
the News of the World, a Sunday tabloid owned by Rupert
Murdoch`s News International, in "the most vigorous way they
can" and "without any worry about where the evidence should
lead them".

However, Cameron made clear that the allegations about
the case of 13-year-old Milly Dowler would not prompt him to
intervene in the bid by the News of the World`s parent company
-- Murdoch`s News Corp -- to take a majority stake in
satellite broadcaster BSkyB.

The allegations put pressure on Rebekah Brooks, News
International`s chief executive, who was editor of the
newspaper at the time of the murder. But media reports said
she had Murdoch`s full support, and would not resign.

In a new twist to the long-running phone-hacking scandal
at the tabloid which has thus far involved the voicemails of
celebrities and politicians, it has emerged that police are
investigating claims that a private investigator working for
the newspaper also hacked Dowler`s mobile phone.

The teenager disappeared on her way home from school in
Walton-on-Thames, near London, in 2002. After a major police
search, her bones were found six months later in a forest.

Last month, former nightclub doorman Levi Bellfield, who
was already serving a whole-life sentence for murdering two
other women, was convicted of her murder.

PTI



First Published: Tuesday, July 5, 2011 - 21:52

comments powered by Disqus