British PM thought wife was killed in 9/11 attack
London: British Prime Minister David Cameron, whose wife Samantha was on a business trip to New York on September 11, 2001, faced moments of anxiety to finally hear she had not died in the terror attack.
In an interview to mark the 10th anniversary of the attacks, Cameron told Al Jazeera how he spent hours trying to contact Samantha.
Cameron was at the family home in Oxfordshire on the day of the attacks while Samantha - who was two months pregnant with their first son Ivan - was in New York opening a new branch of the upmarket stationers Smythson, where she still works as a consultant.
Although Samantha was in the shop a few kilometres from the World Trade Centre, she was unable to tell her husband she was safe for five hours because the phone and mobile networks crashed in the immediate aftermath of the attacks, said the Daily Mail.
"Samantha was actually in New York that day, in Manhattan, and I`ll never forget the hours of ringing her mobile over and over again and not being able to get through because the mobile phone system was down," Cameron said.
"I remember exactly where I was when I finally did get through and how pleased I was to hear her voice."
"Obviously it`s been one of the defining events of this century. And I think we`re still coming to terms with it and trying to get our response to it right," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks