British PM visits with Newark, NJ mayor
New Ark: British Prime Minister David Cameron met Thursday with the mayor of Newark to learn about education reforms and other programs in the impoverished city before concluding his trip to the United States with a planned visit to New York City and the 9/11 memorial.
Cameron was briefly greeted by Mayor Cory Booker on the front steps of City Hall before they headed inside to talk about municipal reforms that could be replicated in Great Britain. They also planned a short walk around New Jersey`s largest city, which is about 10 miles from New York.
After exchanging greetings, Cameron spoke briefly with the mayor about Booker`s time in England as a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford, where he received a degree in modern history in 1994.
A day after his joint appearance with President Barack Obama, in which the two men discussed the war in Afghanistan, Cameron also planned a sojourn to the World Trade Center site and the memorial for the lives lost in the terrorist attack that led to that war.
In the afternoon, Cameron is slated to meet with students in a question-and-answer session at New York University and visit the New York Stock Exchange. His flight back to England is scheduled for late Thursday night.
Cameron arrived in the US on Tuesday. His trip included a college basketball game with Obama as well as a state dinner at the White House.
The two leaders discussed the war in Afghanistan at a joint appearance on Wednesday. They said that NATO forces would hand over the lead combat role to Afghanistan forces next year as the U.S. and its allies aim to get out by the end of 2014.
The announcement came after the war effort was rocked by the burnings of Qurans at a US base, deadly protests against Americans and a shooting rampage, allegedly by a US soldier, that left 16 Afghan civilians dead.
Obama, 50, and Cameron, 45, appeared to enjoy each other`s company, and also exchanged gifts. The Obamas gave the Camerons a wood- and charcoal-burning grill engraved with American and British friendship flags, complete with his-and-her White House chef jackets embroidered with the Camerons` names.
First Lady Michelle Obama also gave Cameron`s wife, Samantha, a crystal vase of White House honey. And the Cameron children got bean bag chairs embroidered with their names and the presidential seal.
The Camerons reciprocated by giving the Obamas a pingpong table.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview