British PM`s ex-spokesperson held for perjury
London: British Prime Minister David Cameron`s former spokesman and ex-editor of the News of the World was detained Wednesday over allegations of perjury in court, Xinhua reported.
Andy Coulson, 44, was arrested in London over allegations of making false statements in 2010 at the high court in Glasgow over a story published by the News of the World when he was editor.
Coulson, then working for Cameron, denied any knowledge of phone hacking by the tabloid. Arrested last July by Metropolitan Police investigating the News of the World hacking scandal, he was later released on bail.
It has been disclosed that News of the World journalists intercepted and deleted the voicemail messages of the missing girl Milly Dowler in March 2002, interfering with police inquiries into her disappearance.
Resigned in 2007 from the News of the World due to the conviction of the newspaper`s involvement in the illegal phone-hacking, Coulson later joined Cameron`s personnel as communications director until resigning in January 2011 over the continued coverage of the phone-hacking affairs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III