British PM`s ex-spokesperson held for perjury
London: British Prime Minister David Cameron`s former spokesman and ex-editor of the News of the World was detained Wednesday over allegations of perjury in court, Xinhua reported.
Andy Coulson, 44, was arrested in London over allegations of making false statements in 2010 at the high court in Glasgow over a story published by the News of the World when he was editor.
Coulson, then working for Cameron, denied any knowledge of phone hacking by the tabloid. Arrested last July by Metropolitan Police investigating the News of the World hacking scandal, he was later released on bail.
It has been disclosed that News of the World journalists intercepted and deleted the voicemail messages of the missing girl Milly Dowler in March 2002, interfering with police inquiries into her disappearance.
Resigned in 2007 from the News of the World due to the conviction of the newspaper`s involvement in the illegal phone-hacking, Coulson later joined Cameron`s personnel as communications director until resigning in January 2011 over the continued coverage of the phone-hacking affairs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days