British police arrest 6 terror suspects in London
London: Days before the onset of Olympic Games, the British police on Thursday said that they have arrested five men and one woman on suspicion of terrorism.
The six were arrested on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism under the Terrorism Act 2000, said police.
The BBC reports that some of those held are British nationals and there targets are believed to be in the UK.
Police said the arrests are not linked to the upcoming Olympic Games.
According to details released by police, one man, 29, was arrested in the street in west London, while another man, 21, and the woman, 30, were arrested at separate residential premises in west London.
Three other men, aged, 26, 18 and 24, were arrested at a residential premises in east London.
The 24-year-old man was tasered during his arrest, but did not require hospital treatment, the police added.
All have been taken to a south east London police station where they remain in custody.
Searches under the Terrorism Act 2000 were also being carried out at eight residential premises in east, west and north London and one business premises in east London.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- Good monsoon may push FY17 GDP growth beyond 8%: Crisil
- 3540 children missing in Delhi
- Veteran batsman Mohammad Hafeez highest earning Pakistani cricketer: PCB
- Maoist to make bid to bring all parties on board to form govt
- Rio medals devalued! Absence of Russian stars hurts 2016 Olympic Games: Vladimir Putin