British police arrest 6 terror suspects in London
London: Days before the onset of Olympic Games, the British police on Thursday said that they have arrested five men and one woman on suspicion of terrorism.
The six were arrested on suspicion of the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism under the Terrorism Act 2000, said police.
The BBC reports that some of those held are British nationals and there targets are believed to be in the UK.
Police said the arrests are not linked to the upcoming Olympic Games.
According to details released by police, one man, 29, was arrested in the street in west London, while another man, 21, and the woman, 30, were arrested at separate residential premises in west London.
Three other men, aged, 26, 18 and 24, were arrested at a residential premises in east London.
The 24-year-old man was tasered during his arrest, but did not require hospital treatment, the police added.
All have been taken to a south east London police station where they remain in custody.
Searches under the Terrorism Act 2000 were also being carried out at eight residential premises in east, west and north London and one business premises in east London.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency