British politician calls for ban on wearing veils in public
London: Home Office Minister Jeremy Browne has reportedly called for a national debate on whether young Muslim women can be prevented from having the burka (veil) imposed on them.
Browne said that he was instinctively uneasy about restricting religious freedoms but said there may be a case to act to protect girls who were too young to decide for themselves whether they wished to wear the veil or not.
According to Daily Star, the British Liberal Democrat said that they need to very cautious about imposing religious conformity on a society which has always valued freedom of expression.
Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg, agreed with Browne that it wasn`t appropriate for students to wear a full veil in the classroom or for people to go through airport security with their faces covered, but was against a full ban.
Clegg said that it is a free country and people have right to wear what they wish adding that it would be very un- British to start telling people what piece of clothing to wear.
Meanwhile, chief executive of the Ramadhan Foundation, Mohammed Shafiq said that he was `disgusted` by Browne`s calls to consider banning Muslim girls and young women from wearing the veil in public places and demanded for religious freedom.
The debate comes amidst a row erupted over the decision by Birmingham Metropolitan College to drop a ban on the wearing of full-face veils amid public protests.
The report added that the college had banned niqabs and burkas from campuses for easy student identification eight years ago but had to withdraw the rule after a prospective student complained of being discriminated on religious grounds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why