British Queen `deeply saddened` by Philippines typhoon
London: Britain`s Queen Elizabeth II has sent her "heartfelt condolences" to the victims of Typhoon Haiyan, which swept through the Philippines over the weekend.
"I was deeply saddened to hear of the loss of life and devastation caused by the typhoon that hit the Philippines at the weekend," she said in a message sent to Philippine President Benigno Aquino III yesterday.
"Prince Philip joins me in offering our heartfelt condolences to the victims and their families at this difficult time."
"Our deepest sympathies go out to all those whose lives have been affected."
A Buckingham Palace spokesman said the monarch would contribute to Britain`s rescue appeal, which has raised USD 2.4 million in the 15 hours since it was launched yesterday.
The television appeal was set up by the Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC), a group of 14 UK aid organisations including Action Aid, British Red Cross, Christian Aid, Islamic Relief, Oxfam and Save the Children.
The government will match all donations up to GBP 5 million, and on Monday announced it was sending a warship and transporter plane to help the relief operation.
The UN has launched an appeal for more than USD 300 million in aid to help deal with the aftermath of the super storm, which it is feared claimed the lives of thousands of people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her