British queen`s beloved corgis `becoming endangered`
London: Queen Elizabeth II`s favourite dog breed, the Pembroke Welsh Corgi, is at risk of disappearing, Britain`s Kennel Club breeders` association has warned.
Known for their short legs and yappy voices, the herding dogs have been favoured by the British monarchy since the 1930s and the queen, 87, has raised dozens herself.
But the Kennel Club said that with just 241 Pembroke Welsh Corgis registered in Britain this year, the breed is on its "at watch" list and is set to be classed as a "vulnerable native breed" by January.
"It looks unlikely to reach the 300 registrations needed to stay off the vulnerable native breeds list," the organisation said in a statement.
Right-leaning newspaper The Daily Telegraph blamed the decline of the corgi on the previous Labour government, which lost power in 2010 to a coalition led by Prime Minister David Cameron`s Conservatives.
Labour introduced a law in 2007 banning "tail-docking" -- the practice of cutting off part of a dog`s tail -- leading many breeders to abandon the corgi after it changed the breed`s appearance, the Telegraph argued.
The queen currently has two corgis, Holly and Willow, as well as two dorgis -- a cross-breed of dachshund and corgi -- named Candy and Vulcan, according to the monarchy`s official website.
The Kennel Club said the decline of native breeds such as the Pembroke Welsh Corgi has been accompanied in Britain by the "astronomical" rise of small foreign breeds that can fit inside a handbag, such as the French bulldog.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened