British tourist who jumped from hotel balcony vows to return to India
London: The 31-year-old British woman who jumped off a hotel balcony in Agra to escape an alleged sexual assault has vowed to return to India to give evidence against her attackers but said she will "never" travel alone again.
Jessica Davies, a dental hygienist from Greenwich was speaking of her ordeal for the first time since her return to Britain after she cut-short her back-packing tour of Asia.
"I will go back if I have to in order to give evidence," said Davies, who sustained leg injuries while jumping out of a second-floor hotel room`s balcony in Agra last week. But she added that she is "never going to travel alone again".
Davies said she wanted to talk about her experience "because the shame of sexual assault makes many people too scared to speak out".
She condemned the behaviour of fellow hotel residents as "disgusting", as no one came to help her while she was screaming for help for over an hour.
The manager of the hotel, Sachin Chauhan, and a guard from the hotel Agra Mahal appeared in court last week to face charges of sexual harassment. However, the duo claimed that they had knocked on Davies` door for a wake-up call.
She denied reports that she had asked for a wake-up call, saying she had set her phone alarm for 4.30am to catch a taxi for an early train to Jaipur.
Still in her pyjamas, she said, she had opened the door to find the hotel manager asking if she wanted to take a shower and offering a massage. "He was showing me this oil he had," she told BBC.
"I held my key in the lock and I could feel them turning it from the other side,” she said, adding that she used furniture to barricade her hotel room door the men.
"By hook or by crook this person - or persons - were going to get into my room. I`m 100% certain. And there was only one way out, to jump two floors," said Davies, who was half-way through a six-week trip, intending to go on to China.
The young woman insisted that she had been "exercising a lot of caution and wearing appropriate clothes" after hearing about some recent cases of attacks on women.
The UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) issued updated travel advice for women travellers to India after this incident, calling on them to "exercise caution when travelling in India even if they are travelling in a group".
The incident came just days after a 39-year-old Swiss tourist was gang-raped in a forest in Madhya Pradesh while her husband was beaten up.
Women`s safety has been a simmering topic in India ever since the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old physiotherapy student in New Delhi last December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened