British women get pregnant to escape jail term
London: A judge in Britain has criticised two women who became pregnant to dodge imprisonment after laundering money from a customer`s bank account.
The judge still gave them suspended sentences, saying he was obliged to take account of the effects of separating mothers from their babies.
The pair also got away with paying only one pound (about $1.5) each in compensation since they could not afford beyond it, Daily Express reported.
Oladayo Olodude, 23, and Oluwashun Taylor, 31, laundered 12,100 pounds (about $19,000) which had been stolen from a bank customer`s account in October 2009 by a man who could not be traced.
Though the victim has been reimbursed, the bank is out of pocket as the money was never recovered.
Taylor became pregnant after being charged and was eight weeks from giving birth when both women were found guilty at the Old Bailey last March.
Judge Anthony Morris had adjourned sentencing until Thursday (Sep 20) so that Taylor could give birth, only to discover Olodude is now expecting.
He, however, handed both women suspended sentences, telling the pair: "Despite the fact I have a strong suspicion you both sought to manipulate the system, I have to take account of the fact you both have small children."
Olodude was convicted of possessing criminal property and Taylor convicted of transferring criminal property.
Each of them was given six-month prison terms, suspended for a year, and ordered to carry out 100 hours` unpaid work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India