British women get pregnant to escape jail term
London: A judge in Britain has criticised two women who became pregnant to dodge imprisonment after laundering money from a customer`s bank account.
The judge still gave them suspended sentences, saying he was obliged to take account of the effects of separating mothers from their babies.
The pair also got away with paying only one pound (about $1.5) each in compensation since they could not afford beyond it, Daily Express reported.
Oladayo Olodude, 23, and Oluwashun Taylor, 31, laundered 12,100 pounds (about $19,000) which had been stolen from a bank customer`s account in October 2009 by a man who could not be traced.
Though the victim has been reimbursed, the bank is out of pocket as the money was never recovered.
Taylor became pregnant after being charged and was eight weeks from giving birth when both women were found guilty at the Old Bailey last March.
Judge Anthony Morris had adjourned sentencing until Thursday (Sep 20) so that Taylor could give birth, only to discover Olodude is now expecting.
He, however, handed both women suspended sentences, telling the pair: "Despite the fact I have a strong suspicion you both sought to manipulate the system, I have to take account of the fact you both have small children."
Olodude was convicted of possessing criminal property and Taylor convicted of transferring criminal property.
Each of them was given six-month prison terms, suspended for a year, and ordered to carry out 100 hours` unpaid work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore