Briton may be jailed for 15 yrs for pinching woman`s butt
London: A Briton in Dubai faces the prospect of up to 15 years` jail for allegedly pinching a woman`s butt, as cops have charged him on counts of sexual assault and being drunk.
Steven Sherriff, 43, insists he was mistaken for the groper, who had allegedly misbehaved with a 23-year-old girl in a bar in February.
The girl told her boyfriend who punched Steven, knocking him out. Both men were arrested and later withdrew complaints against each other.
But cops charged Steven with being drunk and sexual assault, the Sun reported.
Belfast-born Steven, who has lived in Dubai for seven years, said, "My lawyer says I will get three to 15 years if convicted. But I never touched her." He admitted being drunk but said: "I`d never do a thing like that no matter how drunk I was."
Married businessman Steven is due in court on June 5. The 26-year-old boyfriend faces a charge of being drunk.
Officials in the Gulf state have prosecuted several Britons for indecent behaviour over the past five years.
Last week a British businesswoman was accused of having drunken sex in the back of a Dubai taxi.
Foreigners jailed in Dubai are deported immediately after completing their sentences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part III
- Rajinikanth thanks fans for 'Kabali' success with THIS sweetest gesture! - Details inside
- Delhi court bails out Kejriwal ex-aide Rajendra Kumar
- ASUS ZenFone 3 Deluxe gets new Snapdragon 821 processor
- China to chart Communist Party future amid crackdowns
- NPA clean-up should have started much earlier: Raghuram Rajan