Briton may be jailed for 15 yrs for pinching woman`s butt
London: A Briton in Dubai faces the prospect of up to 15 years` jail for allegedly pinching a woman`s butt, as cops have charged him on counts of sexual assault and being drunk.
Steven Sherriff, 43, insists he was mistaken for the groper, who had allegedly misbehaved with a 23-year-old girl in a bar in February.
The girl told her boyfriend who punched Steven, knocking him out. Both men were arrested and later withdrew complaints against each other.
But cops charged Steven with being drunk and sexual assault, the Sun reported.
Belfast-born Steven, who has lived in Dubai for seven years, said, "My lawyer says I will get three to 15 years if convicted. But I never touched her." He admitted being drunk but said: "I`d never do a thing like that no matter how drunk I was."
Married businessman Steven is due in court on June 5. The 26-year-old boyfriend faces a charge of being drunk.
Officials in the Gulf state have prosecuted several Britons for indecent behaviour over the past five years.
Last week a British businesswoman was accused of having drunken sex in the back of a Dubai taxi.
Foreigners jailed in Dubai are deported immediately after completing their sentences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire