Briton may be jailed for 15 yrs for pinching woman`s butt
London: A Briton in Dubai faces the prospect of up to 15 years` jail for allegedly pinching a woman`s butt, as cops have charged him on counts of sexual assault and being drunk.
Steven Sherriff, 43, insists he was mistaken for the groper, who had allegedly misbehaved with a 23-year-old girl in a bar in February.
The girl told her boyfriend who punched Steven, knocking him out. Both men were arrested and later withdrew complaints against each other.
But cops charged Steven with being drunk and sexual assault, the Sun reported.
Belfast-born Steven, who has lived in Dubai for seven years, said, "My lawyer says I will get three to 15 years if convicted. But I never touched her." He admitted being drunk but said: "I`d never do a thing like that no matter how drunk I was."
Married businessman Steven is due in court on June 5. The 26-year-old boyfriend faces a charge of being drunk.
Officials in the Gulf state have prosecuted several Britons for indecent behaviour over the past five years.
Last week a British businesswoman was accused of having drunken sex in the back of a Dubai taxi.
Foreigners jailed in Dubai are deported immediately after completing their sentences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH