Britons, Americans jailed long terms in Somalia
Mogadishu: Six foreigners including three
Britons and an American were jailed for between 10 and 15
years in Somalia after the seizure of a small aircraft
carrying USD 3.6 million allegedly destined to be paid as
ransom to Somali pirates.
"The American and one of the Britons who carried the cash
were sentenced to 15-year jail terms and to pay USD 15,000
each," Hashi Elmi Nur, chief justice of Mogadishu`s Banadir
court, told reporters.
The six were arrested on May 24 after a plane landed at
Mogadishu and was waiting for another small plane to come in,
collect the cash and fly it to another destination in the
country, Mohamed Omar, a Somali government security official,
"The other four, among them the pilots of the aircraft,
were given 10-year prison terms and have been fined USD 10,000
each," he said.
All the money they were transporting and both aircraft
had been confiscated by the government, he added.
An official said that the foreigners said the money
was destined to be used as a ransom payment.
However, the nationalities of the other two foreigners
and the exact circumstances behind the planned payment were
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing