Britons, Americans jailed long terms in Somalia
Mogadishu: Six foreigners including three
Britons and an American were jailed for between 10 and 15
years in Somalia after the seizure of a small aircraft
carrying USD 3.6 million allegedly destined to be paid as
ransom to Somali pirates.
"The American and one of the Britons who carried the cash
were sentenced to 15-year jail terms and to pay USD 15,000
each," Hashi Elmi Nur, chief justice of Mogadishu`s Banadir
court, told reporters.
The six were arrested on May 24 after a plane landed at
Mogadishu and was waiting for another small plane to come in,
collect the cash and fly it to another destination in the
country, Mohamed Omar, a Somali government security official,
"The other four, among them the pilots of the aircraft,
were given 10-year prison terms and have been fined USD 10,000
each," he said.
All the money they were transporting and both aircraft
had been confiscated by the government, he added.
An official said that the foreigners said the money
was destined to be used as a ransom payment.
However, the nationalities of the other two foreigners
and the exact circumstances behind the planned payment were
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi