Britons being trained for jihad in Syria
London: Four British extremists are being trained to fight a jihad or holy war in Syria and Palestine, according to their trainer, a Syria-born hate preacher who has been banned from Britain.
The Britons are being trained at a camp run by 52-year-old Omar Bakri, The Sun reported.
Bakri has boasted of his military-style courses for Islamic fanatics on Syria`s border with Lebanon.
He said one British recruit was a computer programmer in his 20s from London, while another was a Midlands-based IT worker.
"Of the four, two of them have Syrian connections. But they are all born in Britain and have professional backgrounds. After their training they will do their duty of jihad (holy war) in Syria and maybe Palestine," he told the daily.
Bakri came to Britain in 1986 and stayed till 2005. He had reportedly praised the 9/11 terror attacks.
The cleric also claimed to have trained many fighters from other countries, including Germany and France.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional