Britons being trained for jihad in Syria
London: Four British extremists are being trained to fight a jihad or holy war in Syria and Palestine, according to their trainer, a Syria-born hate preacher who has been banned from Britain.
The Britons are being trained at a camp run by 52-year-old Omar Bakri, The Sun reported.
Bakri has boasted of his military-style courses for Islamic fanatics on Syria`s border with Lebanon.
He said one British recruit was a computer programmer in his 20s from London, while another was a Midlands-based IT worker.
"Of the four, two of them have Syrian connections. But they are all born in Britain and have professional backgrounds. After their training they will do their duty of jihad (holy war) in Syria and maybe Palestine," he told the daily.
Bakri came to Britain in 1986 and stayed till 2005. He had reportedly praised the 9/11 terror attacks.
The cleric also claimed to have trained many fighters from other countries, including Germany and France.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'