Britons try their hand at rolling rotis, fast
London: A competition to roll the fastest, roundest and tastiest `roti` was one of the many events that transformed a central area of Leicester into an Indian quarter over the weekend, replete with an autorickshaw, `tabla` workshops, and a carom tournament.
Thousands of Britons of Indian-origin and others participated in the two-day festival called `An Indian Summer` (AIS) in the city`s Cultural Quarter.
The first such AIS festival was held last year, with organisers enlarging the scope of the event this year.
Located in the east Midlands, Leicester has a large minority of Indian-origin.
Many members of the British Indian community arrived in the town in the early 1970s from Uganda, and have since rejuvenated the region`s economic, social and cultural life.
The winner of the `roti` roll-off competition is set to win the `Roti Raaja` award.
According to the organisers, the aim of the event is to "break down the myths surrounding India and celebrate both the country and its people".
It does this through "through an enthralling mixture of food, music, dance, literature, talks, exhibitions and games".
Peter Soulsby, leader of the Leicester City Council, was seen driving off in the passenger seat in an autorickshaw, while large numbers attended Indian dance and music performances, exhibitions, and henna and `champi` (head massage) sessions.
Organiser Bipin Anand said: "If anyone has been to a Mumbai bazaar they will know it is all about the hustle and bustle, with so many sounds and smells. This year is a big expansion. It is a great chance for a big mishmash of people all ages and Indian and non-Indian people to come along and sample the culture".
The event attracted sponsors that included the Leicester City Council, BBC Radio Leicester, Arts Council England and the University of Leicester.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22